Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Review: Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Moisture Foundation


In the past couple of years, Asian products has taken over a huge chunk of the beauty industry. If you look at famous makeup artists nowadays, they all swear by the quality of these products and use them religiously. When it comes down to me, I can't even tell you how much money I have spent in the last year on Korean products because 1. they are very simple yet effective and 2. come on, we all are crazy about cute packaging!

On the other hand, when we talk about Japanese products they are on the higher side of the spectrum in terms of price. Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation is one of the Japanese products that almost every YouTuber is raving about these days. I would be lying If I said that I wasn't dying to get my hands on it as well, but it's always out of stock from my favorite online shop for Asian products (luxola.com). Thus, I have decided to give the Moisture foundation a try since the price is similar to the Aqua foundation. (Impulse buyer alert!)

Packaging:
It comes in a bright red plastic tube which is quite disappointing, the least they could do to justify the price is work on the packaging a little! Also, comparing to the Aqua foundation which is 30 ml, you get only 20ml of product in this one. On the other hand, the tube is travel friendly as it's very lightweight and it won't break or leak.

Product/Experience:
The foundation is supposed to give a mineral finish but it is made in a cream format to simplify the application process. I have to admit that I didn't research the shades before buying this product, I had to depend on the swatches on the website. (The shade I have is 013)
The first thing I noticed when i tried the foundation is the grey undertone, which would usually suit people with Asian skin. However, it did adapt to my skin color after some time and after setting it with a powder. The foundation felt really creamy on the face and the finish was more on the dewy side. (Moisture foundation, Duh!)
When applied with a brush I felt like it sucked most of the product so I used my finger tips instead. The coverage is definitely on the sheer side, it was more like a tinted moisturizer for me. Thus, it won't cover much if you have problematic skin. For combination or oily skin you will have to set this foundation with a powder because it will definitely get shiny through out the day. On the other hand, this foundation minimized my pores like no other and it looked like second skin! Also, it does not contain parabens so it is safe for hypoallergenic and sensitive skin.

Tips:
- To avoid picking up the wrong shade, like I did, shades starting with "0" turned out to be for pink or cool undertones and shades starting with "1" are for golden undertones.
- If you want to set the foundation but don't want to spoil the skin-like finish, use a translucent loose powder. For more coverage, you can obviously use a normal setting powder that matches your skin tone.

Overall Opinion:
I think the foundation would suit people with dry/dehydrated skin because it's extremely hydrating. Moreover, it's perfect for No-Makeup Makeup lovers as it looks like skin. Personally, I wouldn't re-purchase it again because the price to product ratio does not make any sense to me. However, I'm so curious to try the Aqua foundation, since I discovered another website which stocks all the shades.  

Note:
I bought mine from luxola.com for approximately $56 but you can find it on Beautylish.com along with the Aqua foundation priced at $62.

No comments:

Post a Comment