Sunday, March 26, 2017

Review: Bobbi Brown Old Hollywood Eye Palette

Over the years, I have always purchased eye shadow palettes based on recommendations from friends or other bloggers. However, last christmas I wanted to venture into new items or experiment with anything limited edition for a change. I was torn between two high-end palettes but I ended up settling for the Bobbi Brown old hollywood palette. Today, I will be sharing my opinion on this palette as well as swatches of the shadows for your reference.
First of all, apologies for reviewing a product that isn't in the markets anymore or in other words very rare to find unless you buy it off individual sellers. I wanted to give an insight on the quality of shadows by Bobbi Brown as they do introduce similar palettes every year - so this might serve as a guide if you ever decided to invest in them.

Packaging:
The shadows come in a sleek black compact with a huge mirror inside, which makes it great for travel. The Top side has the palette's name while shades are mentioned in the bottom,which is quite typical for most eye shadow palettes. It has silver detailing from the inside around the shadows and it comes with a double sided brush - one side is a synthetic flat brush while the other side is a fluffy blending brush. My overview of the packaging is that it looks simple yet elegant and the brush is actually good in quality.

Product/Experience:
The palette includes 9 shadows in total - the colours are a mixture of cool and warm shades with various finishes. The shades are as follow:
- Ivory: This is a classic matte white eye shadow - Perfect as all over the lid base colour or to highlight the brow bone. The formula of this shadow is buttery smooth , not at all patchy and quite pigmented. This has become my go-to base colour even if i'm using other palettes.
- Golden Pink Metallic: A glittery gold shadow with pink undertone - It's a little bit textured so I prefer applying it with fingers or using it wet. Spraying my brush with fixing spray before dipping into this shadow was the best solution to prevent fall out. Also, using it wet makes it more intense and gives a foiled like effect. This is one of the most high shine golds I have ever used in a while.
- Gold Sparkle: A pure gold glittery eye shadow without any undertones. It's slightly lighter in colour than Golden Pink Metallic and the pigment is not as intense. Once again, I have to use this one wet to intensify the colour but even so it gives a light wash of colour. This was my least favourite shade in the palette but it can always be mixed with other shadows.
- Opal Sparkle: A high shine glittery silver shadow. Honestly, silvers are not the best looking colours on my complexion but this shade is still beautiful - I like to use it as an inner corner highlight instead.
- Fog: A dark grey matte shadow. This shade is perfect to intensify the outer crease area for a dark smokey eye. It can also be used on the upper or lower lash line for soft definition. The shade is very smooth and pigmented yet it blends easily. I'm highly impressed by the formula of this colour as dark matte shades are usually hard to work with.
- Beige: A light brow matte shade. This colour is perfect as transition, to define the crease area and it is not insanely pigmented so you can easily build it up. The texture feels very smooth on the lids and does not look patchy. This was one of my favourite shades in the palette.
- Chocolate Bronze: A dark brown glittery shadow with peach undertone. This shade looks phenomenal on my skin tone and It's my most loved glittery shade in the palette.
- Candlelight Gold: An off-white shimmery shade with golden undertone. This colour does not contain any glitter bits so you don't have to worry about fall out. It's extremely pigmented and does not require wetting your brush beforehand. It's perfect to apply on the centre of the lids to give the eye a nice glow or it can be used as an inner corner highlight. Once again, I'm totally in love with this shade and use it with other palettes as well.
- Eclipse: A classic matte black shade. This feels just as smooth as the rest of the shades and it's perfect to darken smokey eyes. Also, it can be used on the lash line to create a soft wing instead of using intense black liners. It's one of the best black shades I have ever used in a while.


Overall opinion:
I'm very impressed with the Bobbi Brown old hollywood palette and use it almost on daily basis. Highly recommend eye shadows by this brand as they passed my expectations with flying colours. As mentioned before, this palette can only be found on websites like Amazon or Ebay as it was a limited edition - but the brand always have similar palettes in stock all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment